Sunday, June 12, 2011

Water, Discovery, and Panic

Today I woke up early and decided I would get a head start on the laundry. I don't really mind doing laundry, except the putting-it-away part.  I got the clothes I was to wash, went out to the laundry room (which is really my garage) and deposited the clothes into the washer.  I added the soap, turned on the water, then went back into the house to you know, do stuff.  \When the cycle had completed its run, I went out and put the clothes from the washer into the dryer.  Blissfully unaware of what was to happen next, I reached down to put the last piece of laundry in the dryer only to discover that I HAD WASHED MY PHONE. 

For those of you who have washed your phones, you can completely sympathize with me.  The emotions run the gambit of "Oh crap! I washed my phone!" to "Muahaha now I can get a new phone!" to "Oh no, what will the children say..."  And really, the last one is the worst.  I have lectured my kids upside down and backwards about this.  "Put your phone in a safe place and you CAN'T wash it.  I just isn't possible."  And with two out of three kids washing their phones MULTIPLE times, this seems like sound advice.  And it is, sans the irritation and judgement about how careless they were.  Now I have to eat my words.  This will not be fun, mark my words.  To any one of you who have had to endure the cringing that takes place when your kids catch you doing something you preach to them no to, well - it's going to be the opposite of someone bestowing loving and gentle words upon you.  They will eat me alive with this one!  Not to make them sound terrible, but they are related to me and Dave, so I know what I'm in store for. ;-)

After finding my phone water logged and dead in the bottom of the washer, I snatched it up and sprinted upstairs to plug it in and see what was going to happen. Dave was looking at me like I was crazy, and then being a very logical person tried to tell me that it wasn't going to work.  He realized his mistake when I looked at him with wild and crazy eyes and yelled "I've got to try! You have to understand that!"  He of course backed way off while managing to turn the sympathy vibe on which was really good that he did because I was in a panic.  Twenty  years of marriage will teach you that, won't it?  Well, it will if you're smart. 

After unsuccessfully trying to resuscitate my phone, I gave up.  I called Verizon where a very nice lady told me how I could steal my son's upgrade and then switch my phone number with his so he could keep using his old one.  I don't know how he got the early upgrade date, but he did.  Stinking kids! I will be stealing the upgrade after church today.  <---- Now that's funny!

Anyone have any good "I lost/washed/killed my phone stories?

4 comments:

  1. Derek didn't wash his phone, but he left his brand new android (our very first time with smartphones- 2 weeks after we got them) on the bathroom counter for a minute while Sarah was in the bathtub. He went to check on the other girls in their room, and when he came back Sarah was playing with his phone in the bathtub. We did not have insurance on the phones either, but "by coincidence" (in other words, it was a God thing) Verizon was changing insurance providers and had open enrollment the next week, so we both signed up and he got his new phone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew! Those suckers are expensive! You are so fortunate it worked out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never washed my phone (knocking on wood)but I lecture my daughter on constantly misplacing her phone. She never actually loses it but just cannot find that little sucker when it decides to hide. She is famous for this. Oh, and her keys, too. Now, I have a new iPhone and I am constantly setting it down and forgetting where I left it. Maybe its karma? I think I need a bright red cover with lots of bling. I bet yours is PnG.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Or maybe it's in the gene's!

    I wanted PnG SO bad, but the P was cheesy. I got bright red! Great minds, you know. ;-p

    ReplyDelete